I’ve completed week three, barely. I did a crazy thing and added another class to my fall semester with the goal of finishing my coursework by next May. Last week also coincided with a 3-day mandatory district inservice. The reality of a 3-day inservice in the bush adds a day of travel on either end with the stress of being away from home and trying to maintain a “normal” schedule of life. I’ve been going full-throttle this weekend to not only catch up, but to get slightly ahead in order to get a good rhythm going for the remainder of the fall semester.
How did this week of “abnormal” affect my action research?
I curated a substantial number of helpful resources this week toward my project. Of course, my favorite place to curate is on my Diigo. These sources are posted on this blog weekly in order to share with others. The most satisfying source is a document based on the new Alaska standards which has all the tech-specific standards highlighted and ready for the addition of supporting resources. This 121 page document was analyzed twice to ensure all the tech pieces were parsed out. This is now posted on our group wiki and shared with my teammates.
My sharing this week was highly centralized on my action research project. The majority of work was with my teammates. Our sharing is public on twitter and on our respective blogs in order to generate comments from others who may be interested in our topic. I hope I impacted the learning of others’, especially my teammates, as I try to be a strong contributor on our project. The interaction on our blogs leads me to conclude that my impact is positive… as our project is moving forward.
I was having a difficult time curating full-text sources from the Egan library. Thanks to tutorials posted about Google scholar and helpful emails from people in my PLN (which thankfully includes librarians), I was able to procure helpful literature to support my project. This made a huge difference to my learning.
Next week should flow smoother. There will be no travel. I will have generated a new rhythm for work that needs to be done. I will meet with my group so we can strategize on data collection for our project.
All in all, I am still very excited about building a tool that others will find helpful. I have informally asked people in my learning network if they would find on online tool which would point to tech-specific sources to support teaching the new Alaska standards. Everyone I’ve spoken has energetically agreed that such a tool would be more than welcome. Now to find more than anecdotal data to support the construction of this project…